BREAKING: Thank You Radiohead
Phone: +44(0)7986671716, +44(0)7561098449, +44(0)7479234522, +44(0)7878535968
Content drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lpbBFcgw8MfD2yVV5CA_5CvXNBQ0C6-I
What emergency? https://rebellion.earth/the-truth/the-emergency/
Extinction Rebellion in Numbers – https://docs.google.com/document/d/11E9MUhXWyxweCDKwJqBRZEDLGam268iwUqVAAUG8dus/edit#heading=h.ozg3b8yfa3rm
“We’re not scaremongering / This is really happening.” – Idioteque
Extinction Rebellion would like to thank Radiohead for their gift and gesture of support in donating the proceeds of the OK Computer Minidisc Bandcamp
to Extinction Rebellion around the world.
To join the rebellion, visit https://rebellion.earth/
and check out the new video which we’ve put to Radiohead’s song Idioteque – with their permission. This unprecedented support comes as Extinction Rebellion UK’s first book ‘This Is Not A Drill: An Extinction Rebellion Handbook
’, published with Penguin on 100% recycled paper, is due to hit bookshops this Thursday. Courage, truth-telling and action
The climate and ecological emergency demands courage, truth-telling and generosity like never before. We are so grateful to Radiohead for showing us how that’s done, both now – and in the lead up to the April rebellion. Words are inadequate but actions do change the world.
From the bottom of our hearts and on behalf of the Extinction Rebellion movement – now in 59 countries from the US to India to China, with 348 groups across 248 cities and towns
– we thank Radiohead for supporting us so that we can continue to build our already far reaching and powerful movement of non violent civil disobedience. ‘We are standing on the edge.’
The world is recognising the emergency. Auckland has just declared a climate emergency
, which follows countless other councils and institutions around the world. In May after more than 1,000 people were willingly arrested in London to bring attention to this cause, the UK Parliament declared a climate and environmental emergency
This acknowledgement of the state of emergency is needed. Now we need to begin telling the full truth and acting on it. We need to do what is necessary, think big and not what is feasible. We can no longer kick the can down the road and leave this crisis for the next generation to fix. Our children’s futures hang in the balance.
If you share our concerns for the future of planet earth then join us in this next phase of the rebellion. No matter who you are or how much time you have, we need you to help build this powerful movement. ‘Breath, keep breathingDon’t lose your nerve’This Is Not A Drill: An Extinction Rebellion Handbook
This Thursday, Extinction Rebellion will publish its first book ‘This Is Not A Drill: An Extinction Rebellion Handbook
’ which is intended to be a practical guide to a new, flourishing movement: our tactics, our politics, the things we have done and the things we hope to do.
The book includes contributions from people on the front lines of the climate crisis and Extinction Rebellion activists all across the world. Academic and activist Vandana Shiva
has written the foreword and the former Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams
has written the afterword. Other contributors include: Kate Raworth
, Caroline Lucas MP
, Clive Lewis MP
, Hindou Oumarou Ibrahim
, Farhana Yamin
, and President Mohamed Nasheed of the Maldives
. Three approaching events from XR groups around the world:
Notes to editorsAbout Extinction Rebellion:
- June 13 – XR Munich Open Meeting – It is time to act! You have heard of Extinction Rebellion and want to know more about who we are, what we want and what we are doing to reach our goals? You want to join your local XR group and be part of the international rebellion for life? Extinction Rebellion Munich invites you to an open meeting.
- June 16 – Amsterdam Canal Funeral Procession – At the current rate of climate breakdown, Amsterdam might be flooded as early as the end of this century. We will hold a boat funeral on the canals of Amsterdam to mourn the disappearance of the city of Amsterdam, as well as the continued displacement, suffering and death of people already enduring the effects of the climate crisis.
- June 16 – 20 – Holyrood Rebel Camp – Holyrood Rebel Camp will bring together rebels from all over Scotland and the UK to hold a where we will engage in outreach, share performances, and partake in workshops.
- June 20 – XR NYC Welcome Call – XR New York City host regular welcome calls. If you want to get more involved the best way is to join this call and find out how you can join the rebellion.
Time has almost entirely run out to address the ecological crisis which is upon us, including the 6th mass species extinction, global pollution, and abrupt, runaway climate change. Societal collapse and mass death are seen as inevitable by scientists and other credible voices, with human extinction also a possibility, if rapid action is not taken.
Extinction Rebellion believes it is a citizen’s duty to rebel, using peaceful civil disobedience, when faced with criminal inactivity by their Government.
Extinction Rebellion’s key demands are:
- Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
- Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
- Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
The post BREAKING: Thank You Radiohead
appeared first on Extinction Rebellion