Call for art collections and archives
in the age of digital pluriversityThe aim of this call is to restore the social significance and role of culture, rediscover ideas and imagination in the post-pandemic period with the participation of a wide range of organizational forms. Public institutions should contribute to the creation of climate and social justice, which needs intellectual and cultural support. To make the values of care and sensitivity become part of our history and identity in the form of original artistic expressions, exhibitions and critical theoretical reflection, preservation and documentation programs.
Being part of a cultural society should not be a privilege of closed groups, it should not be left to fragmentation, social isolation and competition. Collection and archival practice should actively reflect and connect all parts of society.
In public and publicly funded museums, galleries and archives:
- in art collections and curatorial activities include a plurality of styles and creators, to ensure the representation and co-decision of artistic associations, art unions, professional unions, ethnic minorities, feminist organizations, to ensure the democratic representation of all creators whose joint work forms the meaning of artistic directions, include intangible forms and their documentation, diversity of social contexts of creation and marginal practices
- bring collections to networked digital cultural environment for various forms of presentation on the principle of infrastructure interoperability between different organizations and collectives, consistent with the provision of knowledge, information and experiences to the public, respecting the identity of minorities and local communities; support the creation of relationships and connections between content and the transfer of knowledge between disciplines instead of enclosing them in separate enclaves
- provide open means and processes of qualified long-term archiving with the above-mentioned aspects, connect archival portals, publication and curatorial projects in the organizational model of cooperation of independent and established cultural institutions and to create alliances of care for the preservation of art
- create collections and art support programs on the principles of climate sustainability and non-extractive approach to environmental values, to carry out audits of used energy, minerals and toxic substances, which become a condition of subsidy programs, because only sustainable collections can be preserved for future generations
- strive for the widest possible social accessibility of art and theoretical works on the principle of Open Access, continue online presentation activities that are important for accessibility outside large cities, for physically and otherwise disadvantaged people or parents with children in their further cultural life, create public space inside outside institutions without barriers and with social considerations
- develop policies and theoretical approaches previously based on exclusive accessibility, proprietary and historical forms of dominance towards the representation of wider interests in a pluralistic civil society and the elimination of structural inequality and racial, gender, social or economic discrimination https://pad.vvvvvvaria.org/call-collections